Earlier today Cisco released a new software train for the AirOS based wireless lan controllers (WLC’s); the 8.0 train. For me the highlights for this software train are:
- Increased scale to support up to 6000 clients on Cisco Virtual Wireless LAN Controller
- Native IPv6 support
- CleanAir Express on AP1600 (I will dedicate a blogpost on this subject in the near future)
- Change the AP mode from local to flex-connect without a reboot, yay!
- Configuring flashing AP LEDs from the GUI (Can be handy to identify that one access-point without a label or to annoy that person who has complains about the fact the the AP’s are not pretty enough to hang on the ceiling.. 😛 )
- High Density deployment features:
- Optimized Roaming
- RSSI Low Check
Oh and I don’t know who requested this particular feature, but you can from now on also use set a red Web Color Theme ..
I have to say that my experience with the now released version (8.0.100) on a 5508 WLC is that the code feels and acts a little buggy; not a release that you want to run in a production environment. My advice is to wait for a maintenance release, but it is always fun to test the new features in the lab 🙂 .